Friday, October 16, 2015

A small nap

So I've been doing a lot of house-cleaning lately -- since two of my sisters are spending nights with me this month.  I got my closet all straightened up and stacked tidily and squarely, instead of trying to balance yet more stuff on top of slippery mounds of belongings -- and thus was able to put quite a lot of things that were untidying my bedroom away on the two shelves of storage space that his apartment affords me.  

The house was slowly moving towards complete cleanliness, as (for once in my life) I was vacuuming, washing dishes, folding towels and dusting cabinets in my off-time moments, instead of slumping in a chair with a book.  Sister Sarah and her third-of-nine son Elliott were due on Thursday evening, but the house work was done enough that I agreed to meet Doug for lunch on Wednesday, and spend several hours hanging out with him as he smoked a Lovely Cigar after.  I then returned to the fray.  And had only to change the bedclothes on Thursday morning, when I climbed into bed quite early on Wednesday night.

It was about eleven-thirty Wednesday night when the phone rang.  I had been asleep for a couple hours, and was fairly far down.  It was my dad, and he told me that Sarah and Elliott were at the Portland airport at that very moment, and had been there since nine-thirty, waiting for me to pick them up.  I said, stupidly, still mostly asleep, "No, that's not true."  !!

So I raced into clothes and zoomed off to the airport, which is fortunately only about fifteen minutes away, and got them.  They were very tired, poor dears, after all the flying they had done, and then the waiting -- I got them home and fed and tucked up in bed as soon as possible.  But since I had arranged to have Friday off -- expecting them to arrive on Thursday, you see -- I had to work the next day, and so they had the day on their own in Northwest Portland. 

When I got home we bundled into the car and chugged up here to the Retirement Home, where Mom and Dad were extra glad to see our arrival.  Dad has taken them out to the beach this morning, and I sit in my favorite chair with no socks on.  I think a small nap is in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment